Sunset Gap was started as Juniper School by the United Presbyterian Church in 1899 meeting the educational needs of this isolated, rural community.
In 1928 the needs changed and a new building was added that served as a clinic for Typhoid and Tuberculosis patients.
The 1950's brought organized recreational activities such as baseball, sewing and crafting groups to Sunset Gap and farming practices were improved.
The community opened a preschool and began boy/girl scouts in 1964. In 1964 the thrift store and home repair mission camps also began.
The Board of National Missions turned the mission over to the Synod of the South in 1968.
501(c)3 status was gained in 1993. Food deserts were eased by the opening of the Food Pantry.
Holston and East Tennessee Presbyteries signed covenants in 1995.
Currently, Sunset Gap combats food insecurities via the
We help dollars stretch for customers purchasing clothing and household goods at the Thrift Store.
Assistance with home repair is offered by national Mission Camp groups during the summer months.
With the support of local volunteers, sponsors, and donations, Sunset Gap celebrates special events such as Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.